The FAA offers two qualifications in astrology that are nationally and internationally recognised promoting professionalism within astrology. They are:
- the FAA Diploma of Astrology [Dip Astro (FAA)] and
- the FAA Advanced Diploma of Astrology [Adv Dip Astro (FAA)]
There are four exams that make up the FAA Diploma of Astrology. Each exam may be attempted in any order and there is no time limit to complete all four exams. It is not necessary to successfully complete one examination in order to do another. Any person may apply to sit an exam; the only requirement is that the candidate must be a financial member of an affiliated FAA association.
The four exams that make up the FAA Exam System leading to the FAA Diploma of Astrology are:
- Interpretation – offered annually in February
- Specialist Techniques & Relationship – offered biennially in May
- Calculation – offered annually in August
- Dynamic – offered annually in September/October
Each exam is held at approximately the same time each year.
- Exam dates are published on the FAA website and advertised in the FAA National Journal.
- Candidate must pass all four exams to gain the FAA Diploma of Astrology
The present fees for the exams are:
- Interpretation, Relationship & Specialist Techniques, Calculation & Dynamic – $200 ($150 concession card holders)
- All prospective exam candidates are welcome to apply for an APA scholarship which can assist in paying one exam fee per year.
- Fees are subject to inflationary rises when warranted
The Diploma of Astrology is the FAA’s minimum qualification to practice astrology professionally; therefore, a high standard is expected of candidates.
The Advanced Diploma is the highest academic honour given by the FAA. In order to apply for a Advanced Diploma the applicant must hold the FAA Diploma of Astrology (formerly Practitioner’s Certificate FAA)… (click the tab on the left). Candidates may apply at any time.
An Advanced Diploma is awarded:
- On the submission of a research thesis of your own choosing. Candidates are asked to submit a synopsis of their thesis with their application, which is then judged by the Board as to its suitability. This is to avoid those subjects which are obviously invalid or inappropriate to the standard of the Diploma.
- On submission of a published work, or work that has contributed significantly to the standard of Australian astrology. The applicant must again submit a synopsis of the work on application.
The thesis or work is judged by two examiners who have some expertise in the field of the work submitted. If there is no member of the Board with such expertise, the work will be sent to recognised experts in that field for evaluation.
For more information, download the Exam Book (see link on the right).
Changes to the Calculation Exam
The following changes will come into effect from the 2018 Calculation Exam which has been set for 26 August 2018.
The changes are:
- The Calculation Exam will now be a home-based, open book exam
- The exam will be emailed to candidates
- Candidates will have 24 hours to complete the exam
- Candidates have the choice of returning their exam papers by digital means or via Express Post. Express Post envelopes must be date stamped to indicate a Monday posting. Exam papers which are returned by digital means need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The exam itself has changed from three (3) sections to four (4) sections:
Section 1 consists of TWO questions on the calculation of natal chart angles, house cusps and planets. Both questions in this section must be completed (30 Marks).
Section 2 consists of up to EIGHT questions on aspects and other appropriate information given in the natal chart. All questions must be answered (20 Marks).
Section 3 contains TEN questions on the calculation of Transits, Progressions and Directions in the horoscope. All questions must be answered (30 Marks).
Section 4 consists of TWENTY FIVE multiple choice questions. You must answer TWENTY of them (20 Marks).
For further information regarding the changes email the exam board co-ordinator – email@example.com